5/23/11

women of steel...

Ok, so here's the thing with triathlons...just like any other race you have to signup months in advance. You're all excited and motivated and ready to take on the world so you sign up 3 months in advance and come up with a dedicated training plan. You have plenty of time to train so you think you are gonna do awesome, you're gonna work out 6 days a week, not eat sugar, wake up for 5 am workouts on Saturdays etc, etc....Well maybe most people can do that and they stick with their plans and they do awesome but me...Ummm, I'm not so good at that!

I started swimming lessons in January and I seriously worked my butt off for 3 months to get ready for the Icebreaker at the end of March. I stuck to my training plan, I didn't eat sugar, I did my Saturday morning workouts and I felt prepared when the race day came. But then "life" happened and after I did the Shac tri in April everything went downhill.

Right after I got back from St. George I had the boutique which always makes working out a challenge but I usually make up for it somehow the following week...Well the following week I got deathly sick with bronchitis and then passed it through all 3 of the kids and Judd and then back again and by this time a month had passed and I hadn't been able to get one workout in. Then it was time for the boutique again and in the midst of all of this we were trying to get the basement stuff all finished up so I had no extra time and then it decided to rain for 3 weeks straight so I couldn't swim at all and the only biking and running I could do was indoors and that is just not the same...anyways you get the picture. Life happens!

Geez it's hard to be the mom, the one who has to do everything and take care of everyone....I always have the best intentions and it isn't even that I am being lazy. I honestly just had one thing after another that pulled me away from training and when you're the mom your family has to come first.
Sometimes I wonder why I ever set goals to do anything! That wonderful, motivating feeling I had when I signed up for the race was gone and I was seriously thinking about not doing it, I was looking for any exuse to get out of it and I was so mad at myself...

A few days before the race I decided that I had to do it, I had already paid for it and registered and had been lucky to get in since it was a sold out race that over 1,000 women would be doing. I told myself I wasn't gonna chicken out no matter what. I thought I was going to be doing it alone since it sold out before any of my workout buddies could register but 2 days before the race I found out that my cute neighbor Suzy was doing it so we hooked up and ended up doing it together.
I am so glad I did it, I was pretty nervous but it was so much fun and I actually did a lot better than I thought I would! My new bike was awesome and I ended up improving my time by 12 minutes! I was so excited and proud of myself for sticking it out and doing it even though I didn't feel as ready as I should have been...but hey, that's life right?!
It was a great experience and yes now that stinkin' motivation is back and I signed up for the Herriman Tri in July :) Wish me luck cause this one is in the open water...Oh, what have I gotten myself into now?!









3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh, you are crazy! And awesome! I am so jealous, and proud of you. Great work!

CorayFam said...

I love this post!!! You express things so well and its all true about life happening..trying to set goals..being a Mom..you wrote it perfectly!! You are a ROCKSTAR and I am way excited for all the things you are accomplishing! Go Ashlie!!

Brad and Kaci said...

Your amazing!!!

pregnancy