10/24/08

Sad, sick little baby!


So, Wednesday Cooper was really really sleepy all day. I couldn't get him to even wake up to eat or anything, which is definitely NOT him, so I was a little worried about him, and then when I woke up in the middle of the night to check on him he was burning up. We took his temp. and it was 101.7...so I was a little more worried. We gave him some tylenol, rocked him and snuggled with him until morning. But when morning came and he was still burning up with a 102.4 fever I freaked out and took him to the Dr.
The Dr. did a rectal temp and it was 103.3...I felt so bad for him! We did a bunch of tests on him in the office and cold not find out what was wrong with him so the Dr told me to take him straight to the Hospital to run some blood work and more tests. I had Dawson with me and he was freaking out because he was worried about his baby brother so I had my mom meet me at the hospital to take him.
We rushed there, and got him to the Pediatrics floor and they immediately started getting him prepped for an iv to get some fluids in him. The nurse was really worried about him and kept commenting on how horrible he looked, and I was in tears! She said that sometimes with sick little babies it is really hard to get an iv in, especially when they are so dehydrated, so that made everything worse. The poor little guy had to be poked 13 times and after a good 31/2 hrs they still were never able to get an iv in...his little veins just kept collapsing, it was the most horrible thing I have ever had to watch! After that torture session they did a spinal tap to check for memingitis, which was even worse to watch, but thankfully came back negitive too and after an entire day in the hospital we still have no idea what was wrong with him. All the tests came back negetive that they ran, and he is doing much better today after some meds they gave him. I have to take him back for the next 2 days to get these shots that help with the fever but I think he is gonna be just fine...Thank Goodness! My kids have never been this sick, and it was just heart-breaking to watch, I am just so grateful that he is ok, we love this little guy so much and he was a little trooper! It is amazing to me how babies can get SO sick so fast, and then get better just as fast...

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! That is awful. I am so sorry. My kids never get sick either (Well, they are only sick right after birth, not after I get them home.) I hope he is okay, and that mommy is recovering! Poor kid.

Leesa said...

Oh my heck Ash! Im glad he is going to be ok! I cant believe that couldnt find anything wrong with him.. im not sure if thats a good thing or bad... Im soo sorry you had to go thru that. How stressful and sad! If you need any help with anything please let me know. We'll keep you in our prayers!
Love, Leesa

Ashley said...

Oh Ashie, I am so sorry!!! There is nothing worse then having a sick baby :( Let me know if you need any help with your other little guys

Spackman's said...

That is so scary! I am glad he is ok. How are you doing? Stuff like that is so hard to deal with! Seriously he is so handsome

Brad and Jana said...

Hey Ashlie, It is Jana (Grace) Page. I saw your blog through Amandas. That is crazy! The same thing happened to my first little boy. They did the exact same thing, they could never get an iv in and had to do a spinal tap also! It is so sad huh! Your boys are so cute! It is fun to see what you are up too.

pregnancy