Strawberry Days was a few weeks ago and ever since last years festivities my boys have been begging me to let them sell drinks in front of my store. For those of you who are not familiar with the whole Strawberry Days thing I will explain...Every year in mid-June Pleasant Grove puts on a big celebration. They have a parade, fireworks, a rodeo,z and even a carnival complete with over-priced, rickety rides and sugar-filled treats. I don't know how many people attend each year, but it is a lot...and since my studio is literally right in the middle of all this action my boys suddenly become overly excited about coming to work with me.
Well, this year I decided they were probably old enough and I though it would be a good time to teach them about the value of money, so I caved and bought $75 worth of every soda imaginable and set them up a cute little table and display to lure in thirsty customers. They were beyond excited, and Dawson was so cute. With his little auctioneer voice he would scream out "Step right up...Drinks...Get your ice cold drinks..." Everyone thought he was adorable and a few people stopped and bought a few diet cokes and commented on what a hard worker he was. Well, that lasted about 15 minutes until he got thirsty himself and drank half of our inventory...They decided they would much rather walk across the street and spend their profits on carmel apples. It was all I could do to get them to stay for another hour and man their booth until I was done with my work.
The next morning was the parade and I though for sure there would be tons of thirsty buyers for them, that was until I looked out my bedroom window to see gray clouds and hurricane winds...by the time we reached the store and got set up it was pouring rain and not too many people were interested in buying hawaiian punch. Their dreams of making it rich and buying all the transformers a kid could ever want slowly faded...Luckily Judd was there to help me out, since I was working he was outside helping them, which I greatly appreciated. He said after all was said and done that they made $24 and spent $47 riding 3 rides and eating junk food at the carnival! Not my best investment to date...
*on a side note Judd sure had a fun time playing with my mannequins...







No comments:
Post a Comment