2/20/09

Our precious baby...


So, I took Cooper to his 6 month check-up back at the end of January and during his well-visit our pediatrician discovered that he has a little heart murmur, he assured me that it probably wasn't anything to worry about but wanted us to get a chest x-ray just to be safe. So, of course I rushed him over to the hospital and they did the x-ray that same day. I was a little worried, but everyone seemed to think he was going to be just fine so I didn't stress too much about it until I got a call later that night from Dr. Edwards saying that the x-ray showed that his heart was a little larger than normal and there was more blood in his lung area than there should be.  I panicked of course, and we called called up to Primary Children's to get in with a cardiologist to find out more. I was really nervous for the entire 2 weeks until we were able to get in to see the Dr, so when they had a cancellation I jumped on it and was able to get in a few days earlier than expected. Since it was such short notice Judd wasn't able to come with us, but I didn't think much of it and anxiously took him in hoping to get some good news and move on. I really wasn't expecting anything too scary.
 When I finally got there  they did an EKG and an ECHO and we were there for SO long...the Dr. kept asking to get more pictures and more tests and poor Cooper was exhausted and just wanted to go home...and so did I! I was freaking out and just wanted to know what was taking so long and what was wrong. Finally, after about 4 hours the cardiologist came in and shut the door and looked right into my eyes and said. "I have been dreading telling you this, but you son has a serious heart defect." I about died...I was so shocked and terrified and I just wished that Judd was there so bad!  The Dr. was so sweet and explained everything to me and told me that he was going to have to have heart surgery and that we were scheduled to go up to Primary again in a few days to get some better pictures and get a better idea of what we were dealing with.  
I don't know how, but I drove myself home, called Judd and had a little melt-down...
Since then we have had many more tests done and Cooper and I both have had blessings.  We have had to wait for awhile to find out exactly what the surgeons wanted to do, but we just found out on a few days ago that he will be having heart surgery on March 10th.  

I questioned if I should even post about this, since it isn't your typical casual topic, but everyone keeps asking me about him and I figured that the more people who know, and are praying for him the better... I have a very strong testimony of prayer and the priesthood and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to be comforted and strengthened through these blessings.  I don't know what I would do without the Gospel in my life right now, I am amazed at what peace it has brought to me and my family already, and I know it will continue to be there as we go through this trial. 
Thanks to all of our friends and family who have been so thoughtful. We appreciate your support and prayers more than you will ever know...

14 comments:

Aleisa said...

I'm so sorry for your family. You all will be in our prayers. If you need any help with the boys please don't hesitate to call. My boys would love to have some friends over. In fact it would give me a break.

Melissa said...

Ash, we love you guys. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. We will remember you in our prayers, and let me know if there is anything we can do for you!

Leesa said...

ok so i am just sobbing at my computer right now after reading that! You are so STRONG Ash!! I WILL FOR SURE KEEP YOU ALL in my prayers! I am so sorry that you are going through this... if you need ANYTHING PLEASE let me know!
ALL my love!!!

Aubree and Ashlyn said...

cooper will be in my prayers...i have to take ashlyn to get an ekg and testing on her heart on monday for a heart murmur too... im so scared. ill be think of u guys... love ya

Crowther family said...

I am so glad you did share this with friends and family. How amazing you are to keep it all together. You truly have alot of faith. I am a firm bleiever in prayer and the many miracles we recieve because of them. You and your sweet little boy will be in our prayers. Please do not hesitate to ask for help. You truly are amazing and sweet. Thank you for sharing your testimony.

Jody

ryan + carly said...

for sure you are in our prayers. i'm so sorry this is happening. you are such a strong girl and so amazing. wow. i love you girly.

claytonandmaryannyates said...

Aw ashlie, I don't know if i can say i'm sorry you're going throught this because i have a strong belief that everything we go through in this life, we knew about and agreed to. I just want to say i have a lot of respect for you,and God obviously believes you are strong enough for this. I will pray for coopie and your fam. I can't believe you were able to drive home either. I love you and sure hope everything will be ok. Which i'm sure will. How good that they saw something so early in his life. I had a dream last night about you. It was your wedding again and you were wearing this way revealing dress and just took off your G's for the wedding cause you were way showing some,.. you know! well i love.

ashlie said...

You and your family are definately in our prayers! The boys are more then welcome over here anytime you need it! My boys love having them over! xoxoxoxo

Jen said...

I'm so sorry your family is going through this...I'm sure everything will go great. you are in our prayers.

Stephanie Peay said...

I am so sorry for what is happening. I look you up every now and then and I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Good luck with everything to come. This is Stephanie Peay (Evans) by the way. My blog is private but my email is stephie.peay@gmail.com

Ashley said...

We sure love all of you guys Ashlie and are praying for baby Cooper!

Hansen Family said...

Wow! what a strong mom you are and how lucky cooper is to have you! You will both be in our prayers.

Jobi Niu said...

I've totally been wondering about your lil' sweetheart.. thanks for the update. i'll keep him in my prayers.. :]

The Oler Family said...

I am so glad you posted about this, I just barely heard about a few days ago from Chavonne, and I've been wondering. I hope everything goes well, and you're all in my prayers.

pregnancy