Well, this year will probably go down as the lamest Halloween ever thanks to the lovely fall flu that we are all enjoying so much:) We had all 3 of our kids sick at some point over the weekend and let me tell you, it was spooky!
It all started the day before Halloween, Friday morning the big boys had their little Halloween parade at school and I woke up feeling awful. I could barely lift my head off the pillow, but of course I couldn't bare the thought of my kids not looking adorable and perfect on Halloween so I drug myself out of bed and started getting their costumes together and painting their faces. Braxton was a Star Wars clone-trooper and Dawson was being Hulk so I had my work cut out for me. I spent a good hour perfectly painting their little faces and when we were finally finished we realized that the bus was going to be there any minute. I grabbed their coats and shuffled them out the door. Of course they were curious to see their costumes complete with make-up and everything so I quickly took them to the mirror to see their transformations, waiting for them to tell me what a great job I did and how I was such a great mom for being on the verge of death and still waking up to paint their faces.
But to my surprise that was not what happened...not at all. Dawson took one look at himself and burst into tears and said "I look like I have cucumbers on my eyes...this is not how the hulk looks!"
I tried to tell him that I couldn't cover his eyes with paint because it would get in his eyes but all he could say through his tears that were now green and smeared all over his hulky little face was that he hated it and he wasn't going to school.
Seriously, why do I even try I thought. I should have just stayed in bed and let them go to school wearing whatever they could pull together out of their closets. I was so frustrated and to top it off I was feeling like I was going to pass out myself. Then my sweet little Braxton chimed in and said, "Mom, I love my make-up...thanks."
At least I have one child who appreciates me I thought.
Then, knowing that he was about to miss the the bus, he started trying to make Dawson feel better so they could get out the door. I will never forget the cute words of comfort he offered to his little brother.
"Dawson, you have to understand...It's not like mom is really good at drawing like Dad, you can't just expect her to make it look perfect. She did her best..."
Wow, I though, as I tried not to bust out laughing. I didn't know my kids thought I was such a failure...I guess next Halloween Judd will have to take a vacation day to do Halloween make-up!
I gave in and scrubbed all of the bright green paint off his face and sent him out the door. I now had a baby and myself to get ready and we had to be to the parade in 30 minutes and I looked like death.
Somehow I got us ready and out the door and I met my mom at the school. We sat (or stood rather) through the entire parade and anxiously awaited the grand entrance of the perfectly accessorized Clone Trooper and the Hulk with a little white Dawson face. After a while we saw Braxton looking adorable and happy as can be, but the parade went on and on and soon the last class went by and still no Dawson. I started to panic and wondered where in the world he could be. I raced to his classroom and found his teacher and he wasn't in his class either.
"Where's Dawson?" I asked his teacher.
"Oh goodness, " she said "We've been trying to call you, he is so sick and in office. He came in just looking awful, he was seriously green and looked like he was about to faint!"
Again I tried not to bust out laughing, of course he looked green, and if he wasn't such a brat it would have been a much brighter shade of green! I went straight to the office, feeling like the worst mother ever and found him sitting behind the desk in his hulk costume looking like he just lost his best friend. He was so disappointed that he wasn't able to go to the parade and he did look green! Of course part of it was from my wonderful make-up job that wouldn't fully wipe off, but he really was sick too! I took him home and cuddled with him and put him to bed, he was one sick little hulk:(







1 comment:
ha ha, Dawson is such a punk, but you have to love him anyway! I love this story, i am sorry that i didn't make it to the parade:( I didn't know you were sick or I would have tried to come and help
Post a Comment